Congratulations to our Fall 2017 Barbara Stewart Scholarship Winner and honorable mentions!
Self Portrait as Theme
Winners currently on display in Gallery Obscura
Winner ($250 scholarship):
Slide show of all entries:
What is the Barbara Stewart Scholarship?
• It is a scholarship established in memory of the late and beloved Barbara Stewart, a City College ESL instructor and photography enthusiast. Each semester a Beginning Photography student is awarded a $250 merit scholarship in her honor.
Who may enter?
• Open to all currently enrolled Photo 51 students.
Is there a theme or subject?
• Yes, the theme this semester is Self Portrait.
What may I submit?
• Students may submit one “piece” consisting of one or no more than two photographs. Each submission will be judged as a single piece, so if you submit two images, they will be considered only as a pair. You may, of course, choose to submit a single photo.
What are the submission requirements?
• Images should be no less than 4,000 pixels on their long side.
• JPEG format only!
• File names must be in this format: first_lastname_ph51-<section#>.jpg. For example: sally_smith_ph51-001.jpg No spaces or punctuation other than – or _
• If 2 files are submitted, they should have sequence numbers 1 & 2 as well.
• Student’s name must be included as Creator in the file metadata and contact information – phone and/or email must also be included in metadata. Submissions without this information will not be considered!
How do I submit?
• Files should be uploaded using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/f4FNnJxND6V1zSeS2e9T
• Submissions must be received no later than 9:00 pm on November 29, 2017.
Still have questions?
• Ask your Instructor or a Lab Supervisor for assistance or Contact Steven Raskin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to Gabriella Angotti-Jones for winning GOLD in the category of General News!
In this work, I explore the contemporary relationship between man and nature. Specifically, I photographed abandoned objects and places along a stretch of fence in West Oakland. My work seeks to mine the emotional consequences of our lost innocence and disassociation from the natural world.
Black and White Photographs by the Spring 2017 Yefim Cherkis Memorial Scholarship Recipient:
Artist Reception November 30, 6-8pm
Congratulations to Adam Field for winning the Spring 2017 Yefim Cherkis Memorial Scholarship! Adam will be exhibiting his winning portfolio, in Gallery Obscura, during the Fall 2017 semester.
Light as Subject
Winners on display in the Visual Arts Building Courtyard
Winner ($250 scholarship):
Min Jae Lee
Slideshow of all entries: