Congratulations to Joseph Johnston for winning the Spring 2016 Yefim Cherkis Memorial Scholarship! Jospeh will be exhibiting his winning portfolio, “Francisco: Struggling with Addictions” in Gallery Obscura in the Fall ’16 semester.
“There is no one I can talk to about Francisco…not my sisters (they want him deported), not my old friends (they want nothing to do with him and no longer visit us), not our neighbors (they have seen too much already), nor the people I work with (too personal and inappropriate). Francisco is an alcoholic and drug addict.”- Joseph Johnston
Winners On View in Obscura Gallery:
May 4th – 26th, 2016
Gallery Obscura, Ocean Campus, Photography Department, CCSF
Winner ($250 scholarship):
Slideshow of all the entries:
What is the Barbara Stewart Scholarship?
• It is a scholarship established in memory of the late and beloved Barbara Stewart, a City College ESL instructor and photography enthusiast. Each semester a Beginning Photography student is awarded a $250 merit scholarship in her honor.
Who may enter?
• Open to all currently enrolled Photo 51 students.
Is there a theme or subject?
• Yes, the theme this semester is Light as Subject.
What may I submit?
• Students may submit one photograph in digital form only.
What are the submission requirements?
• Images should be no less than 1280 pixels on their long side. JPEG format only!
• File names must be in this format: first_lastname_ph51-<section#>.jpg. For example: sally_student_ph51-001.jpg
No spaces or punctuation other than – or _
• Student’s name must be included as Creator in the file metadata and contact information – phone and/or email must also be included in metadata. Submissions without this information will not be considered! Do not know how to do this? Click here: Saving Metadata in Lightroom
How do I submit?
• Files should be uploaded using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/pubyo0C8CrGJLG4MQ5sV
• Submissions must be received no later than 9:00 pm on April 23, 2016.
Still have questions?
• Ask your Instructor or a Lab Supervisor for assistance or contact Steven Raskin at email@example.com
All are welcome to attend lecture by Underwater Healer, Erena Shimoda.
“For over two years I’ve had the pleasure of working with many amazing cancer survivors as part of my Underwater Healer – About Face campaign. Starting initially with 13 survivors, I raised funds on IndieGoGo to cover the cost of the portrait sessions for the survivors and to this day, all photography sessions are covered at no expense to them. The rest of the campaign money was donated to IHadCancer.com, an online community where survivors, family members and supporters share their stories and connect together. It’s been a profound joy to help cancer survivors celebrate regaining their health and life through underwater portrait shoots.”
April 15th, 2016
Health Center, Room 203
Showcases the use of negative space through black and white film. It demonstrates absence and the notion that it is not necessarily the subject that is important, but the space surrounding.
Black and White Photography by Heidi Judge
On display at Gallery Obscura
April 5 – April 30
Artist Reception: April 7th, 6-8 pm